Kumon Educational Story
Kumon Educational is the UK’s largest supplementary education provider, offering maths and English study programmes for children of all ages and abilities. There are currently over 70,000 Kumon students learning at more than 680 study centres across the UK, with over 4 million students worldwide.
The Kumon Method of Learning was developed in 1954 by Toru Kumon, both a parent and gifted teacher from Japan. He discovered his own son, Takeshi, was not fulfilling his potential in maths at school and so created worksheets for him to do at home every day. We still stand firm to the founding principles outlined by Toru Kumon today.
Kumon Educational believe all children have enormous and often untapped potential and that, through developing strong maths and English skills, they can experience all round academic success. We therefore believe all education must focus on delivering a maximum, long-term benefit to each individual child.
What is Expected of You?
All Kumon Instructors are skilled and committed individuals with a passion for education and a strong desire to see children develop. As an independent business owner, the decisions you make will directly affect the performance of your business and you will need to invest time and money in growing your centre.
- You will not only have to support students, but recruit them too and therefore you must be energetic, self-motivated and willing to invest in your students and your centre.
- A vital part of your role will be to raise awareness of Kumon in your area; to generate enrolments and appreciation of our brand.
- You will need to recruit and manage a strong team of assistants who will help support and nurture your students. As Kumon is a people business your role also involves acting as an ambassador for Kumon in your area, as well as communicating with children, their parents, and your local community.
- You will also be responsible for maintaining student records, managing finances and stock, and dealing with legal requirements.
- Of course, most importantly, you will be an educator and responsible for the individualised instruction of each of your students through the unique Kumon Method. You will be a student yourself as you continue to learn from colleagues, staff, and indeed from your own students, as well as studying the programmes.
What can You Expect of Us?
Your success is our success. In addition to the security of a proven business model, and the power of a global brand behind you, Kumon’s extensive support network will provide all the necessary help to enable you to make sound business decisions.
- You will have a dedicated Area Manager to support you along your journey to success and an experienced Brand and Communications team to help you spread the word.
- Ongoing marketing support and bespoke materials will also be available to support you in promoting your centre.
- In the same way we nurture each of our students, your ongoing professional development is a priority for us. Thorough training in our unique method and business model will prepare you for success from day one.